Kerry reinstates State Department officials demoted over Benghazi

Rick Moran
Benghazi is now an official non-event. Secretary of State John Kerry has reinstated the State Department employees who were demoted following the attack.

Josh Rogin:

Secretary of State John Kerry has determined that the four State Department officials placed on administrative leave by Hillary Clinton after the terrorist attack on the U.S. mission in Benghazi do not deserve any formal disciplinary action and has asked them to come back to work at the State Department starting Tuesday.

Last December, Clinton's staff told four mid-level officials to clean out their desks and hand in their badges after the release of the report of its own internal investigation into the Benghazi attack, compiled by the Administrative Review Board led by former State Department official Tom Pickering and former Joint Chiefs Chairman Ret. Adm. Mike Mullen. Those four officials have been in legal and professional limbo, not fired but unable to return to their jobs, for eight months... until today.

Former Deputy Assistant Secretary of State Raymond Maxwell, the only official from the State Department's Near Eastern Affairs bureau to lose his job over the Benghazi attack, told The Daily Beast Monday he received a memo from the State Department's human resources department informing him his administrative leave status has been lifted and he should report for duty Tuesday morning.

"No explanation, no briefing, just come back to work. So I will go in tomorrow," Maxwell said.

Maxwell previously told The Daily Beast that the reasons for his administrative leave designation had never been explained to him. He contended that he had little role in Libya policy and no involvement whatsoever in the events leading up to the Benghazi attack.

"The overall goal is to restore my honor," Maxwell had said.

While not a formal discplinary action, Maxwell regarded his treatment as punishment because he was not able to work and was publicly identified as being blamed for the tragedy that cost the lives of four Americans, including his friend Ambassador Chris Stevens.

Maxwell had filed grievances regarding his treatment with the State Department's Human Resources Bureau and the American Foreign Service Association, which represents the interests of foreign-service officers. The other three officials placed on leave were in the Diplomatic Security Bureau, including then Assistant Secretary Eric Boswell and Deputy Assistant Secretary Charlene Lamb.

So the Benghazi attack on our diplomats where 4 were killed never happened. There was no incompetence in the run up to the attack. There was no need for extra security as requested by the ambassador. There were no warnings of trouble. There was every reason to trust the Isamist militia in charge of "security."

How do we know this? Because no one has received any punishment whatsoever for screwing up. Higher ups haven't paid the price. Lower level bureaucrats haven't paid the price. No one in the White House has paid the price.

Not one single person employed by the United States government has been disciplined, fired, or even much criticized for the attack on September 11, 2012 that killed our ambassador - the first in 30 years - and 3 others.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.



Benghazi is now an official non-event. Secretary of State John Kerry has reinstated the State Department employees who were demoted following the attack.

Josh Rogin:

Secretary of State John Kerry has determined that the four State Department officials placed on administrative leave by Hillary Clinton after the terrorist attack on the U.S. mission in Benghazi do not deserve any formal disciplinary action and has asked them to come back to work at the State Department starting Tuesday.

Last December, Clinton's staff told four mid-level officials to clean out their desks and hand in their badges after the release of the report of its own internal investigation into the Benghazi attack, compiled by the Administrative Review Board led by former State Department official Tom Pickering and former Joint Chiefs Chairman Ret. Adm. Mike Mullen. Those four officials have been in legal and professional limbo, not fired but unable to return to their jobs, for eight months... until today.

Former Deputy Assistant Secretary of State Raymond Maxwell, the only official from the State Department's Near Eastern Affairs bureau to lose his job over the Benghazi attack, told The Daily Beast Monday he received a memo from the State Department's human resources department informing him his administrative leave status has been lifted and he should report for duty Tuesday morning.

"No explanation, no briefing, just come back to work. So I will go in tomorrow," Maxwell said.

Maxwell previously told The Daily Beast that the reasons for his administrative leave designation had never been explained to him. He contended that he had little role in Libya policy and no involvement whatsoever in the events leading up to the Benghazi attack.

"The overall goal is to restore my honor," Maxwell had said.

While not a formal discplinary action, Maxwell regarded his treatment as punishment because he was not able to work and was publicly identified as being blamed for the tragedy that cost the lives of four Americans, including his friend Ambassador Chris Stevens.

Maxwell had filed grievances regarding his treatment with the State Department's Human Resources Bureau and the American Foreign Service Association, which represents the interests of foreign-service officers. The other three officials placed on leave were in the Diplomatic Security Bureau, including then Assistant Secretary Eric Boswell and Deputy Assistant Secretary Charlene Lamb.

So the Benghazi attack on our diplomats where 4 were killed never happened. There was no incompetence in the run up to the attack. There was no need for extra security as requested by the ambassador. There were no warnings of trouble. There was every reason to trust the Isamist militia in charge of "security."

How do we know this? Because no one has received any punishment whatsoever for screwing up. Higher ups haven't paid the price. Lower level bureaucrats haven't paid the price. No one in the White House has paid the price.

Not one single person employed by the United States government has been disciplined, fired, or even much criticized for the attack on September 11, 2012 that killed our ambassador - the first in 30 years - and 3 others.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.