One of the reasons the State Department has given for not discussing events surrounding the terrorist attack that killed Ambassador Stevens was that the FBI was investigating and they would have no comment until the bureau had completed its work.
"I'm going to frustrate all of you, infinitely, by telling you that now that we have an open FBI investigation on the death of these four Americans, we are not going to be in a position to talk at all about what the U.S. government may or may not be learning about how any of this this happened -- not who they were, not how it happened, not what happened to Ambassador Stevens, not any of it -- until the Justice Department is ready to talk about the investigation that's its got," State Department spokeswoman Victorian Nuland told reporters late Friday afternoon.
That was nearly two weeks ago.
Now CNN is reporting that the FBI is nowhere to be found in Benghazi:
More than two weeks after four Americans -- including the U.S. ambassador to Libya -- were killed in an attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, FBI agents have not yet been granted access to investigate in the eastern Libyan city, and the crime scene has not been secured, sources said.
"They've gotten as far as Tripoli now, but they've never gotten to Benghazi," CNN National Security Analyst Fran Townsend said Wednesday, citing senior law enforcement officials.
Last Thursday, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told reporters that an FBI team had reached Libya earlier in the week.
"In fairness to the secretary, it may be that she wanted to be coy about where they were in Libya for security concerns. That's understandable. But the fact is, it's not clear they've been in Libya for very long," Townsend said on CNN's "Anderson Cooper 360°."
"They had difficulty, and we understand there was some bureaucratic infighting between the FBI and Justice Department on the one hand, and the State Department on the other, and so it took them longer than they would have liked to get into country. They've now gotten there. But they still are unable to get permission to go to Benghazi."
FBI agents have made a request through the U.S. State Department for the crime scene to be secured, Townsend said, but that has not happened.
"The senior law enforcement official I spoke to said, 'If we get there now, it's not clear that it will be of any use to us,'" Townsend said.
The FBI team has conducted interviews of State Department and U.S. government personnel who were in Libya at the time of the attack, Townsend said, but the FBI's request to directly question individuals who Libyan authorities have in custody was denied.
A combination of bureaucratic infighting and a non-cooperative host nation has torpedoed any investigation. The scene is contaminated, witnesses will have fading memories, and evidence will be lacking.
It hardly matters because the administration continues to peddle out right lies. Blaming the anti-Islam film for the attack has been blown up by the Libyan prime minister who says there was no demonstration against the film prior to the attack. Downplaying the terrorist angle has been shown to be a ludicrous lie because US intelligence knew it was an al-Qaeda affiliate who was responsible for the attack within days.
Have you ever seen such a lack of curiosity about what happened in Bengahzi from the mainstream media? Despite the death of 4 Americans - including our ambassador - Benghazi is already a non-event; it never happened. There is no media outcry for the administration to come clean and tell us not only what they know, but why they lied about it.
It is an already forgotten blip on the radar.