David Maraniss's new biography, "Barack Obama: The Story" is shredding the carefully constructed mirage of a life story that Obama rode to victory in 2008.
BuzzFeed has 9 interesting fibs told by Obama about his life. Here are a few:
1. Hussein Onyango, Barack's grandfather, wasn't really imprisoned and tortured by the British. Interestingly, this destroys the case that some conservatives have made about Obama's hatred of Great Britain - or at least the primary reason for it.
2. The father of his Indonesian stepfather, Soewarno Martodihardjo, wasn't killed by Dutch soldiers in the fight for independence.
3. Regina, a friend at Occidental who Obama writes about as a symbol of the authentic African-American experience turns out to be based on Carolina Boss, who is white. Regina was the name of her Swiss grandmother.
5. Obama wrote that he broke up with his New York girlfriend in part because she was white. But his next girlfriend, an anthropologist in Chicago, was also white.
7. Obama wrote about his high school friends as an alienated, ne'er-do-well "club of disaffection." In fact, most members of the "Choom Gang" were "decent students and athletes" who went on to successful careers.
8. Obama's mother left his father, not the other way around.
Interesting to see what Obama chooses to lie about when it comes to his life. Dating white girls apparently embarrasses him. His mother's independent spirit also gave him pause. And obviously, turning his grandfathers into heroic anti-imperialists reflects a desire on his part to be seen that way.
Someone will compile a complete list of lies and ommissions from Obama's "official" biography. I think we'll probably see more of the same.