Administration criticizes judge who ordered DoJ lawyers to attend ethics classes
The federal judge who ruled last week that Department of Justice lawyers defending the administration's immigration executive orders lied about the circumstances surrounding the 50,000 illegal aliens who were given three year green cards despite a court order that halted the program and must attend ethics classes. In addition, the judge ordered that the names of illegals who had received the illegal green cards be placed in the court's possession under seal.
Yesterday, the White House issued a blistering statement criticing the judge for "scaring" illegals who now might not want to participate in the amnesty program. And they questioned the judge's decision to force DoJ lawyers to take ethics classes.
The Obama administration accused a federal judge Tuesday of sowing “fear and confusion” among illegal immigrants, potentially scaring them away from signing up for President Obama’s deportation amnesty by demanding immigration officials submit names of tens of thousands of migrants who’ve already enrolled.
Justice Department lawyers also asked Judge Andrew S. Hanen not to force thousands of attorneys to take remedial ethics classes — an order the judge issued two weeks ago after he concluded that theadministration intentionally and repeatedly misled him by implementing part of the amnesty, even as they assured the court it wasn’t in operation yet.
“The sanctions ordered by the court far exceed the bounds of appropriate remedies for what this court concluded were intentional misrepresentations, a conclusion that was reached without proper procedural protections and that lacks sufficient evidentiary support,” theJustice Department lawyers wrote in asking for a stay.
Judge Hanen scheduled a hearing for June 7 to let the Justice Departmentmake its case, in what’s become a nasty court battle between himself and the administration. They’ve been at odds since soon after Mr. Obama announced his expanded amnesty for illegal immigrant parents in November 2014.
Judge Hanen has ruled the amnesty illegal, and issued an injunction in February 2015. But the administration repeatedly broke that order, approving thousands of three-year work permits after the fact. Lawyers admitted that more than 100,000 applications for three-year permits were approved between February and March, despite lawyers telling the judge no part of the amnesty was in operation.
The judge has ordered the administration to file a secret document with the court containing the names of illegal immigrants who live in 26 states that sued to stop the amnesty. The document is to remain under seal.
Immigrant rights activists were enraged by the order, and the Obama administration has vowed to appeal.
"... Lacks sufficient evidentiary support..."? Who are they trying to kid? Did immigration authorities or did they not illegally give three year green cards to 50,000 illegals? Did lawyers for the DoJ lie about the program being active or did they not?
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, the agency that botched the applications in the first place, is pleading poverty, saying the $1.1 million needed to amass the names and give them to the court would tax their resources.
One top immigration analysts calls that excuse BS:
Jessica Vaughan, policy studies director at the Center for Immigration Studies, said that was a lame excuse for an agency that sets its own fees, doesn’t rely on taxpayers’ money and has “socked away $1.2 billion that it had skimmed off the fees paid by legal immigrants.”
“They are still sitting on this money. It’s outrageous enough that they diverted this huge sum of money from legal immigrants, but to now cry poverty is just insulting our intelligence,” she told The Washington Times.
They just can't stop lying.
From the gist of the administration's statement, it doesn't appear they have a legal leg to stand on. The judge is very likely to uphold his original ruling.