Private autopsy shows Michael Brown shot at least 6 times

A private autopsy done at the request of the family of Ferguson, MO shooting victim Michael Brown, has concluded that the unarmed man was shot at least 6 times, twice in the head.

All the bullets entered from the front, so those "eyewitnesses" who claimed Brown was running away are full of it.

The autopsy was conducted by Dr. Michael M. Baden, the former chief medical examiner for the City of New York, and one of the foremost forensic pathologists in the country..

New York Times:

One of the bullets entered the top of Mr. Brown’s skull, suggesting his head was bent forward when it struck him and caused a fatal injury, according to Dr. Michael M. Baden, the former chief medical examiner for the City of New York, who flew to Missouri on Sunday at the family’s request to conduct the separate autopsy. It was likely the last of bullets to hit him, he said.

Mr. Brown, 18, was also shot four times in the right arm, he said, adding that all the bullets were fired into his front.

The bullets did not appear to have been shot from very close range because no gunpowder was present on his body. However, that determination could change if it turns out that there is gunshot residue on Mr. Brown’s clothing, to which Dr. Baden did not have access.

Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. said Sunday that the Justice Department would conduct its own autopsy, in addition to the one performed by local officials and this private one because, a department spokesman said, of “the extraordinary circumstances involved in this case and at the request of the Brown family.”

The preliminary autopsy results are the first time that some of the critical information resulting in Mr. Brown’s death has been made public. Thousands of protesters demanding information and justice for what was widely viewed as a reckless shooting took to the streets here in rallies that ranged from peaceful to violent.

Mr. Brown died last week in a confrontation with a police officer here in this suburb of St. Louis. The police department has come under harsh criticism for refusing to clarify the circumstances of the shooting and for responding to protests with military-style operational gear.

“People have been asking: How many times was he shot? This information could have been released on Day 1,” Dr. Baden said in an interview after performing the autopsy. “They don’t do that, even as feelings built up among the citizenry that there was a cover-up. We are hoping to alleviate that.”

Dr. Baden said that while Mr. Brown was shot at least six times, only three bullets were recovered from his body. But he has not yet seen the X-rays showing where the bullets were found, which would clarify the autopsy results. Nor has he had access to witness and police statements.

He stressed that his information does not assign blame or justify the shooting.

Why Obama's justice department says it will do a third autopsy isn't much of a mystery. No federal crime has been committed  so there's no legal justification for DoJ taking an official interest in the case. But there is a political interest at stake, as Obama and the Democrats are seeking to gin up fear and outrage in the black community to goose turnout in the November election.

Governor Nixon has called out the National Guard to try and tamp down the violence Although a curfew was imposed on Saturday night, it wasn't enforced as only 7 people were arrrested. Seeing that, the small number of curfew violators on Saturday night swelled to several hundred rioting, looting, Molotov Cocktail throwing nihilists on Sunday.

Nixon and the authorities continue to coddle the protestors:

Tonight, a day of hope, prayers, and peaceful protests was marred by the violent criminal acts of an organized and growing number of individuals, many from outside the community and state, whose actions are putting the residents and businesses of Ferguson at risk," Nixon said in a statement on his website.

A midnight curfew was imposed for the second night in the tense St. Louis suburb hit by racially charged demonstrations, violence and looting since Michael Brown, 18, was shot to death on Aug. 9 by white police officer Darren Wilson.

At around dusk on Sunday, hundreds of protesters in Ferguson including families with young children fled to safety after police wearing gas masks and body armor fired tear gas and smoke canisters to scatter them hours ahead of the curfew.

"The smoke bombs were completely unprovoked," said Anthony Ellis, 45. "It (the protest) was led by kids on bikes. Next you know they're saying, 'Go home, Go home!'"

The Missouri Highway Patrol said "aggressors" were trying to infiltrate a law enforcement command post and that armored vehicles were deployed to ensure public safety.

"We ordered them back. We ordered them back again. After several attempts, we utilized the smoke to disperse these individuals," said Highway Patrol Corporal Justin Wheetley.

State Highway Patrol Captain Ron Johnson told a late night news briefing: "Molotov cocktails were thrown, there were shootings, looting, vandalism and other acts of violence that clearly appear not to have been spontaneous."

He was explaining the police tactics against what he said had to that point been a peaceful demonstration.

"Coordinated acts" by a few in the crowd were "premeditated criminal acts designed ... to provoke a response," Johnson said. "I had no alternative but to elevate the level of our response."

The National Guard are not trained as law enforcement officers. If the protestors are complaining about police action to tamp down the violence, they are not going to like what the Guard has in store for them.

The authorities have only themselves to blame. Following the removal of St. Louis County police from Ferguson, Governor Nixon brought in the kindler and gentler State Highway Patrol. He put a black captain in charge who has not stopped apologizing for being a law enforcement officer since he took over. They removed some offensive military-looking vehicles as well as the snipers, and promised rather than tossing tear gas at protestors, he would try and "communicate" with them. That lasted about an hour as protestors on Saturday night were not interested in "comminicating" anything.

From the governor on down, authorities have botched the response to the riots, which have now grown beyond the ability of civilian law enforcement to control. Order will be restored but at what cost?  The rest of America should look at what has unfolded on the streets of Ferguson and take it as an object lesson in how not to deal with racial unrest.

If you experience technical problems, please write to