Details of charges against AP photog
After holding him for 20 months, the US military has detailed charges against the AP's prize winning photographer, Bilal Hussein. AP is continuting to defend him, but like the Green Helmet,Al-Dura and other fake war stories by foreign freelance correspondent/photographers, this one should put every reader on alert about the inherent untrustworthiness of such reportage:
A spokesman for the military said that Mr. Hussein had been detained as "an imperative security threat" and that he has persistently been "treated fairly, humanely and in accordance with all applicable law."In a lengthy e-mail message, the spokesman said that Mr. Hussein had been named by "sources" as having "possessed foreknowledge of an improvised explosive device (I.E.D.) attack" on American and Iraqi forces, "that he was standing next to the I.E.D. triggerman at the time of the attempted attack, and that he conspired with the I.E.D. triggerman to synchronize his photograph with the explosion."The e-mail message did not say whether the photograph in question is the one that Mr. Hussein took in Falluja on Nov. 8, 2004, of Iraqi insurgents firing a mortar and small arms, which was among the 20 from The Associated Press that collectively won the Pulitzer Prize for breaking news photography.The military spokesman said further: "The Associated Press was informed that the sources had reported Mr. Hussein's knowing and willing offer to provide a false Iraqi national identification card to an alleged sniper, whom Mr. Hussein knew was wanted" by the military, "in order to assist the sniper in eluding capture."