In a recent column, David Corn bemoans what his friend Jonathan Alter refers to as the "Obama Hate Machine (OHM)." Corn concludes, "That's an appropriate name for the right-wing attack network that will throw any charge it can concoct -- regardless of the facts -- at the president."
This from the man who, in 2004, penned The Lies of George W. Bush, where, in the introduction, he declares, "George W. Bush is a liar. He has lied large and small, directly and by omission. He has mugged the truth-not merely in honest error, but deliberately, consistently, and repeatedly."
According to Corn, among Bush's top ten lies were:
- "I have been very candid about my past."
- "I'm a uniter, not a divider."
- "We must uncover every detail and learn every lesson of September the eleventh."
- Number 1: "It's time to restore honor and dignity to the White House."
Of course, these statements -- the best Corn had, mind you -- are not lies at all, but things with which Corn simply disagreed. The mental manipulation necessary to turn such words into "lies" certainly qualifies one for what is now known as "Bush Derangement Syndrome."
Barely two years from the 9/11 attacks, in September of 2003, writing for Time magazine, Charles Krauthammer notes that "Democrats are seized with a loathing for President Bush -- a contempt and disdain giving way to a hatred that is near pathological -- unlike any since they had Richard Nixon to kick around." As a result of this behavior, Krauthammer discovered what he considered a psychiatric affliction: Bush Derangement Syndrome (BDS).
Consider these statements about President George W. Bush:
- "He betrayed this country! He played on our fears! He took America on an ill-conceived foreign adventure dangerous to our troops, an adventure pre-ordained and planned before 9/11 ever took place!" -- Al Gore
- "There has never been an administration, I don't believe, in our history more intent upon consolidating and abusing power to further their own agenda." -- Hillary Clinton
- "President Bush is a liar. He betrayed Nevada and he betrayed the country." -- Harry Reid
- "The situation in Iraq and the reckless economic policies in the United States speak to one issue for me, and that is the competence of our leader." -- Nancy Pelosi
- "This country was the moral leader of the world until George Bush became president." -- Howard Dean
- "No president in America's history has done more damage to our country and our security[.]" -- Ted Kennedy
- "I think as far as the adverse impact on the nation around the world, this administration has been the worst in history." -- Jimmy Carter
- "The man's father is a wonderful human being; I think this guy is a loser." -- Harry Reid
- "Bush is an incompetent leader. In fact, he's not a leader." -- Nancy Pelosi
- "We will take to the streets right now. We will delegitimize [him], discredit him, do whatever it takes, but never accept him." -- Jesse Jackson
- "I'd say if you live in the United States of America and you vote for George Bush, you've lost your mind." -- John Edwards
- "Regime change! [Do you think this bothered Chris Matthews?] Bush has to go, and we have the power to do it. The officials of the government shall be removed from office for crimes and misdemeanor[.]" -- Ramsey Clark
The OHM, Corn claims, is "led by a wide-ranging collection of conservative media outfits, right-wing bloggers, and GOP partisans." However, Bush Derangement Syndrome was not led by a wide-ranging collection of liberal media outfits, left-wing bloggers, and Democratic partisans, but, as evidenced above, by the very leaders of the Democratic Party. Also, Obama himself, nearly two years after being elected, continues to call upon BDS to further his liberal agenda.
"The Obama Hate Machine is never slowed by the absurdities it manufactures," cries Corn. "It just keeps spewing crap." Why is he so upset? I thought "spewing crap" was as popular with liberals as killing the unborn, encouraging illegal immigration, and reelecting Charlie Rangel.
The hypocrisy of the left is well-established, but I thought Corn was smart enough not to get this caught up in it. It goes to show how desperate the left is getting.