Is a Venezuelan diplomat promoting antisemitism?
It appears that a website fanning the flames of antisemitism is registered to a Venezuelan diplomat posted to the United States. Venezuela's beleaguered Jewish community is currently suffering grave persecution under Hugo Chavez, the left wing demagogue now likely to be president-for-life.
Martin Sanchez is the founder of Aporrea.Org and was one of the volunteers that ran the website. . He is also listed as the registrant for the website. The website is hosted in America. The website, supported by the government of Hugo Chavez, is also a promoter of antisemitism.
On Jan. 22, a story by Emilio Silva on www.aporrea.org called for ''publicly denouncing, with their first and last names, members of powerful Jewish groups with a presence in Venezuela.'' It also called for ``publicly demanding that any Jew on any street, commercial center or public square, take a position shouting slogans in support of Palestine and against the abortion-like state of Israel.''
This call to action was recently published on the website after a synagogue was desecrated and the names and addresses of its members stolen:
- To publicly challenge every Jew that you find in the street, shopping center or park to take a stand shouting at them slogans in favor of Palestine and against that abortion: Israel."
- "Denounce publicly, with names and last names the members of powerful Jewish groups present in Venezuela"
- "...capitalist agents as these Zionist Hebrews are the thing that hurts them most is the pocket (including Jehovah) it is inappropriate to buy their products and go to their stores and to the stores, supermarkets, restaurants, etc., that have relations with them or are owned by them"
- "...question the existence in Venezuela of educational institutions for Jews only"
- "...Public, massive, periodic concentrations not only in front of the Israeli embassy but also in front of all Jewish institutions"
- "Detect and watch, by the intelligence entities of the State and by the social comptroller of the organized peoples, the undercover agents of Mossad and NGOs and other groups of the so called civil society (including the filthy ("escuálidos") students of the private and autonomous universities) that have received advise and financing from the artificial state of israel,"
- "Purge the government institutions of those filthy officials, that with or without the red beret act in favor of the interests of Zionist groups located in our country."
- "Nationalization of the companies and confiscation of the assets of the Zionist jews that support the excesses of the nazi fascist state of israel and the immediate donation of said assets to the Palestinians, victims of the present holocaust."
...it was farcical that this "instrument of international Zionism" [the Wiesenthal Center], pretended to defend the Jewish people. The Zionists had succeeded in segregating the Jewish people from the rest of the world and turning a religious nation-state into a bastion of capitalism. "We must remove the masque of Zionism and reveal it as a grotesque, racist, egoistic, segregationist philosophy and the government of the State of Israel as a terrorist state responsible for the new Palestinian holocaust.
Observers like the Simon Wiesenthal Center and Latin America expert Andres Oppenheimer cite "a well-orchestrated [anti-Semitic] campaign" that has been taking place on Venezuela's government sponsored radio and television stations, newspapers and websites such as Aporrea. Stoking anti-Semitic fervor, such outlets frequently compare Israel to Nazi Germany and denounce "international Jewish conspiracies."
Ed Lasky is news editor of American Thinker.