More than 300 massacred in Nigerian town used as base by military to find abducted girls
The world has rarely seen a terrorist group like Boko Haram. They have taken barbarity, cruelty, and inhumanity to a whole other level.
Not content with murdering Christians in their churches throughout northeast Nigeria,the terrorists, kidnapped 276 schoolgirls, planning on selling them as child brides to other jihadists, and they have now attacked the town of Gamboru where the military set up a base to search for the missing girls, killing more than 300 civilians in cold blood.
Witnesses described the Gamboru Ngala attack as a well-coordinated onslaught that began shortly after 1:30 p.m. Monday at a busy outdoor market in the town.
Wearing military uniforms, the militants arrived with three armored personnel carriers, villagers said.
The attackers shouted "Allahu Akbar" -- "God is great" -- and opened up on the market, firing rocket-propelled grenades into the crowd and tossing improvised explosive devices, witnesses said.
Some marketgoers tried to take shelter in shops only to be burned alive when the gunmen set fire to a number of the businesses, the witnesses said.
A few Nigerian soldiers who had been left behind at the village could not hold off the assault and were forced to flee, they said. Many sought safe haven in nearby Cameroon.
The fighters also attacked the police station during the 12-hour assault, initially facing stiff resistance. They eventually used explosives to blow the roof off the building, witnesses said. They said 14 police officers were found dead inside.
Residents who returned to the village said they found 310 bodies.
The attack came about three weeks after militants snatched the 276 girls from their beds at the Government Girls Secondary School in Chibok.
And Sunday night, villagers in Warabe said Boko Haram militants snatched at least eight girls between the ages of 12 and 15.
Amid the growing international outrage, world leaders lined up to provide assistance.
The United States is sending a team of law enforcement experts and military advisers. The British government is also sending a small team, Prime Minister David Cameron's office said.
I have struggled with the question of whether publicizing Boko Haram attacks is playing into their hands, giving them what they want. Indeed, the terrorists must be very pleased at the worldwide outrage generated by their intolerablely cruel deeds. They could never buy this much publicity and adding American Thinker to the list of publications reporting on their barbaric actions makes me uncomfortable.
But then, you have to ask what good it does to ignore them? If nothing else, we are - all of us - witnesses to history and trying to shut history out by deliberately turning our backs on the victims of these barbarians does a disservice to the survivors as well as the memory of those lost. The kidnapping and massacre has finally galavinized the world community to do something about Boko Haram. Since the Nigerian government seems incapable - or unwilling - to take them on in any meaningful way, it seems that some kind of coordinated international action is necessary. Not military action - leave that to the Nigerians. But the kind of police work that the FBI, Scotland Yard, and INTERPOL are experts at, plus, using satellites and other high tech aids, might go a long way toward finding those girls and returning them to their parents.
That's a story worth reporting.