Self-Aggrandizement on the Tax Payers' Dime
President Obama wrapped up his recent three day West Coast fund raising tour at a private Democratic fundraiser in Beverly Hills. Obama touted himself and his administration for " ... accomplish[ing] as much, if not more, than any time in our history." He went on to list the accomplishments of his administration which:
(1) Saved the economy from a Great Depression
Reality: His administration has presided over worst recovery since Great Depression.
(2) Revitalized the auto industry
Reality: " In fact, the plan that was developed, implemented and then funded by the government was devised inside GM well before President Obama took office." Moreover, cash for clunkers was a clunker and UAW was illegally put ahead of bond holders in the bankruptcy settlement.
(3) Drastically reduced our dependence on foreign oil
Reality: His administration opposed fracking which has made the US energy independent.
(4) Doubled fuel efficiency standards
Reality: His administration has mandated that MPG must be 54.5 by 2025. Another example of the President seeming to believe that he can mandate reality and take credit just for setting goals.
(5) Doubled our production of clean energy
(6) Reduced the pace of our carbon emissions
Reality: The reduction is due to fracking and increased use of natural gas.
(7) Ended the war in Iraq
Reality: It was Bushes surge, opposed by Obama, Pelosi and Kerry, that stabilized Iraq.
(8) About to end the war in Afghanistan
Reality: Over twice as many U.S. Soldiers have died in Afghanistan under Obama in 3 1/2 years than did under Bush in 8, yet the Taliban is more powerful than ever.
(9) Re-centered our fight against terrorism in a way that respects our values and our ideals
Reality: US international standing is lower than when he took office. Leading from behind?
(10) Expanded access to college for children all across this country
Reality: College graduates average +30k in debt.
(11) Ended "don't ask, don't tell"
Reality: True. Obama administration continues the hollowing out of the US military.
The compounded problem here is that the President is probably being sincere. He believes the grandiose pap his speech writers feed him. A three day "whirlwind" fund raising trip? How about a three day all expenses paid Air Force One ego trip on the tax payers' dime?