Censorship in Yuma
Everyone who reads American Thinker knows about the current battles over free speech and blasphemy laws in America thanks to Barack Obama's Muslim outreach and efforts by CAIR. Everyone with half a brain also knows that it is nothing more than the "moderate" Islamist's attempt to prevent an honest discussion on the true face of Islam and Islamic terrorism, not just in America but throughout the world.
We are all also used to the Washington Post and the New York Times leading the charge toward dhimmitude. Well, they have some new competition: the Yuma Sun.
It all started with a seemingly harmless article on the opening of a mosque in the area, The Islamic Center of Yuma. A simple feel good piece, welcoming the residents of the community to please, come visit, and learn about Islam. How nice.
My issue? Well, the comment section showed some disapproval from the residents, as well as the typical apologists and even a couple that pushed back a little too hard. But instead of blocking said rabble rousers, the Yuma Sun editor dumped all the comments and printed this for a followup. If you don't have time I can sum it up for you in one sentence: Your all hate filled bigots, Christianity did it too.
While it is their right to censor their site, I think they miss the overall point, not to mention they never investigated anyone they were writing about. But no matter, the Editor doubled down this morning. Short version: All Muslims are good.
We are firm supporters of free speech and in general do not moderate the comments on YumaSun.com. However, the attacks on our local Muslim American population were uncalled for, and the complaints we received about the comments were justified.
The Center for American Progress took a look at the myths surrounding Muslim Americans.
Here's what they found in a Gallup poll in 2011:
• Muslim Americans are the least likely of all major religious groups to say that attacks on civilians are justifiable.
• More than 9 out of 10 Muslim Americans say they are loyal to the United States.
• Muslim Americans who attend religious services at least once a week have higher levels of civic engagement and report less stress and anger than those who attend less frequently.
• 48 percent have experienced religious or racial discrimination during the past year -- more than twice as much as other religious groups, except for Mormons, which was at 31 percent.
• 92 percent of Muslim Americans expressed tolerance and/or positive views of other faiths.
Our country was founded on a variety of principles, including freedom of religion, which rightfully includes any and all religions. Islamophobic rants by YumaSun.com commenter's serve only to hurt a population in Yuma which has done nothing to deserve that treatment.
No mention was found of the 9% of Muslim Americans that support suicide bombing, instead just the preapproved talking points by a leftist liberal group CAIR approved of. And they call this reporting.
But hey, maybe I'm just Islamophobic