Some questions for Secretary Clinton when she testifies on Benghazi this week
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has agreed to testify on the Benghazi debacle before the House Foreign Affairs Committee. The hearing is scheduled for Wednesday, January 23, two days after President Obama is inaugurated.
I doubt that very many journalists and citizens will closely follow the hearing held so soon after the inauguration. But even so, I have some questions that a member of the Committee may want to ask. (Of course, these questions are the tip of the iceberg.)
1. On October 15, 2012, did you take responsibility for the lapses in Benghazi security that resulted in the 9/11/12 murders of Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans.
2. Do you take responsibility for the State Department not improving security or withdrawing after terrorists exploded two bombs (one in April 2012 and the other in June 2012) at the American Benghazi diplomatic post?
3. Do you take responsibility for the State Department not improving security or withdrawing after a May 2012 terrorist attack on the Red Cross in Benghazi that caused the organization to withdraw effective August 6, 2012?
4. Do you take responsibility for the State Department not improving security or withdrawing after an attempted assassination of the British Ambassador in Benghazi on June 10, 2012, that resulted in the withdrawal of all British consular staff that same month?
5. Do you take responsibility for the State Department not improving security or withdrawing after American officials on the ground in Benghazi expressed security concerns in the months prior to 9/11/12?
6. Do you take responsibility for the failure to rescue the Americans during the fighting that lasted several hours? If you do not take responsibility, then who is responsible?
7. Please confirm that there were no YouTube video protests at the American Benghazi diplomatic post prior to the terrorist attack.
8. Please confirm that within hours of the terrorist attack, Ansar al-Sharia, a terrorist organization affiliated with al-Qaeda, claimed credit for the attack, and that the State Department, White House, and FBI were immediately aware of the claim.
9. When did the Obama Administration first suspect that Ansar al-Sharia had launched the terrorist attack on the American Benghazi diplomatic post?
10. You are responsible for the security lapses that resulted in the deaths of four Americans, including your close associate Ambassador Chris Stevens. Since you are responsible, why didn't you appear on the five 9/16/12 Sunday news shows to explain to the American people what happened in Benghazi?
11. Why did UN Ambassador Susan Rice appear on those five shows when according to President Obama she knew nothing about Benghazi? Given that you are responsible for State Department security and your Libyan ambassador had been murdered, did you think then or do you think now that Ambassador Rice was the right person to appear?
12. On December 19, 2012, three State Department employees took responsibility for contributing to the Benghazi debacle, and they resigned. Did they do the right thing when they resigned? Are they currently employed by the State Department?