It's getting pretty ridiculous. It's been more than two weeks and both the White House and State Department have remained silent over the circumstances surrounding the death of Ambassador Stevens and 3 other Americans at the consulate in Benghazi.
Mitt Romney has noticed too:
In an interview with Carl Cameron of FOX News today, Mitt Romney and his running mate Paul Ryan implied that President Barack Obama is attempting to cover up the details of what happened during the assault on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya.
"I think they want to do their very best to keep the people of America from understanding exactly what happened. We expect candor, we expect transparency, particularly, as it relates to terrorism," Romney said.
"Why is he (Obama) not on the same page with his own administration officials who are saying that this is a terrorist attack? We'll leave it up to you to decide whether it's a coverup or not," Ryan said.
We have been told that the attack on the ambassador grew spontaneously out of a demonstration against the anti-Muslim film. But the Libyan government is contradicting that narrative:
An anti-Islam film that sparked violent protests in many countries had "nothing to do with" a deadly attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi earlier this month, Libya's president told NBC News.
In an exclusive interview with NBC News' Ann Curry, President Mohamed Magarief discounted claims that the attack was in response to a movie produced in California and available on YouTube. He noted that the assault happened on Sept. 11 and that the video had been available for months before that.
"Reaction should have been, if it was genuine, should have been six months earlier. So it was postponed until the 11th of September," he said. "They chose this date, 11th of September to carry a certain message."
Magarief said there were no protesters at the site before the attack, which he noted came in two assaults, first with rocket-propelled grenades on the consulate, then with mortars at a safe house.
What kind of security was there at the consulate? The safe house? What was Stevens saying in cables to the State Department in the days leading up to his death? There are a dozen other unanswered questions about the attack that will not be addressed until after the election because it is clear that the Obama administration was negligent - stupidly negligent - in its failure to protect our diplomats.
Maybe before then, the White House can get its story straight.