Pakistan court acquits Times Square bomber accomplices
Like we really expected them to convict?
A lawyer representing four Pakistani men accused of involvement in the 2010 Times Square bomb plot says they have been acquitted.
Malik Imran Safdar said Saturday that the prosecution failed to prove its case against his clients Muhammad Shoaib Mughal, Muhammad Shahid Husain, Humbal Akhtar and Faisal Abbasi.
The men were arrested in Pakistan following the New York City incident.
Pakistani-American Faisal Shahzad pleaded guilty in a U.S. court to trying to blow up a bomb in his SUV. It produced smoke but no explosion.
Two other men arrested Pakistan in the wake of the incident were previously released.
The lawyer for the four said they were acquitted Saturday in an anti-terrorism court in Rawalpindi, near the capital of Islamabad.
This is the same court that acquitted al-Qaeda terrorist Rashid Rauf who was accused in the transatlantic aircraft plot in 2006, where al-Qaeda was planning to blow up as many as 10 planes. He escaped from prison in 2007 and may have been killed in a US drone strike in 2009, although there appears to be some dispute regarding that fact.
Several other terrorists have also been released in Pakistan without charges despite their known connections to terrorist groups. It appears to be a useless exercise to get Pakistan to jail those who would act against American interests and citizens.