House committee seeks to impose restrictions on Pakistani aid

Rick Moran
In theory, this is a good idea; getting the administration to explain how the billions in aid we are sending to Pakistan will assist that country in combating terror. But like many theories, when put in practice, it fails to take into account certain realities that are driving our relationship. A provision in the 2012 Pentagon appropriations bill that the panel unanimously approved Tuesday would keep all but 25 percent of $1.1 billion in aid intended for Islamabad in the bank until the White House provides clear details on how it would spend the cash. The remaining 75 percent of the "Pakistan Counterinsurgency Fund" would be subject to the Obama administration providing lawmakers a report detailing its "strategy to utilize the fund and the metrics used to determine progress with respect to the fund," according to a report accompanying the committee's bill. The move comes as more and more U.S. lawmakers and voters express support for ending the Afghanistan war in the wake of bin...(Read Full Post)

COMMENTS ON AMERICANTHINKER