The tragedy in central China continues to grow as rescuers have given up hope of finding anyone else alive and continue to uncover more bodies:
More than 1000 students and teachers at a school in Beichuan county were killed or are missing. The massive tembler collapsed 80% of the buildings in another county.
The official Xinhua News Agency said the death toll exceeded 12,000 in Sichuan province alone, and 18,645 were still buried in debris in the city of Mianyang, near the epicenter of Monday's massive, 7.9-magnitude quake.
The Sichuan Daily newspaper reported on its Web site that more than 26,000 people were injured in Mianyang.
The numbers of casualties was expected to rise due to the remoteness of the areas affected by the quake and difficulty in finding buried victims.
There was little prospect that many survivors would be found under the rubble. Only 58 people were extricated from demolished buildings across the quake area so far, China Seismological Bureau spokesman Zhang Hongwei told Xinhua. In one county, 80 percent of the buildings were destroyed.
Rain was impeding efforts and a group of paratroopers called off a rescue mission to the epicenter due to heavy storms, Xinhua reported.
The quake is the largest to hit China since the catastrophic 1976 Tangshan earthquake which killed 240,000 people.