What do we do about this massive flood of people entering the United States illegally? Like many, I am turning this question over in my mind as I witness the lawless chaos that is unfolding at the border, and beyond.
We have legal channels for people to immigrate to America. We’re not operating in a vacuum. There is no reason for those in power to ignore our immigration laws. Unless, of course, you want to fundamentally transform America.
When the rule of law is not enforced, where does that leave us? When laws are ignored, what does it say about those who have sworn to uphold the law? And what recourse do individual citizens have to correct deliberate lawlessness on the part of government officials?
When laws lose meaning we are adrift, unmoored from the legal underpinnings of our Constitution. Unrecognizable, we are no longer the nation we have been. But what nation are we? Under the Obama administration, I struggle to define this rapidly shifting landscape called America.
Those who have abandoned their oath to protect and defend this country are guilty of treason. Until our border is secure, our national security is at risk. Criminals and terrorists are walking across our border and disappearing into the night. The havoc they will wreak on our nation will be played out for years to come.
What can we do, as individuals, in the face of this lawless madness?
By now we are well aware that patriots in Murrieta, California, have been meeting busloads of illegals in protest. The Murrieta Police Department appears willing to send back-up officers to allow the buses through, though until now the bus drivers have chosen not to wait for back-up and instead have turned around. The Police Department spokesperson expressed concern that if this keeps up “violence could break out” while the media noted that the last time protestors blocked the buses “things got out of hand.”
Does anyone wonder about the violence that will break out as a direct result of evil-doers slipping into our country because we are not securing the border? Why is no one screaming about that? As for things getting “out of hand,” has it not registered with the media yet that it is Obama’s policies that are out of hand?
Not only is activity at the border deeply alarming, but so is the enveloping shroud of secrecy that surrounds it. Why are elected officials and members of the media not allowed to inspect facilities where illegals are being housed?
Department of Homeland Security officials are stonewalling lawmakers who try to make unannounced visits to immigrant detention facilities throughout the country and are closing off public roads along the U.S.-Mexico border in an effort to keep journalists from reporting on the growing illegal immigration crisis, federal law enforcement officials told TheBlaze. (snip)
“They don’t want people to know what’s going on here, or for that matter anywhere, when it comes to the surge of illegal aliens and when [Congress] went to visit, the place was cleared out,” said Cabrera, who is the vice president of the National Border Patrol Council’s Local 3077. “The night before the group of lawmakers arrived the senior supervisors loaded up a couple hundred people being held in the sally port and shipped them out to Laredo. If everything is so fine and dandy, why not let the lawmakers in just the way it is?” (snip)
Cabrera, along with several other Border Patrol agents who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly, said the Obama administration is covering up the difficult working conditions that Border Patrol agents are confronted with, as well as the detrimental situation to the nation as the flow of illegal aliens continues to increase.
No one sums up the outrageous situation unfolding before our eyes better than Texas Senator Ted Cruz or Oklahoma Congressman Jim Bridenstine. Senator Cruz has made no bones about the fact that the humanitarian crisis at the border is a direct result of Obama’s lawlessness. Cruz explains how the dramatic uptick in illegals flowing into this county directly followed Obama’s words and deeds on amnesty. Congressman Bridenstine has also been a bold truth-teller, stating that the policies of this administration “are not deterring human trafficking; they are causing human trafficking.”
Investor’s Business Daily had an outstanding editorial comparing Obama’s policies to those of Fidel Castro during the 1980 Mariel boatlift, with Obama playing the role of Castro.
- Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). Enacted in 2010, the president effectively instituted his own version of the failed DREAM Act, allowing illegals brought to the U.S. as children to obtain residency and work permits for two years. To date 610,694 applications have been approved, according to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, with just 27,360 turned down, a 95.6% approval rate, with just 4.4% rejected. According to an op-ed in La Opinion, the act "energized" the illegal immigrant community.
- Catch and Release. Abandoned in 2006, it's effectively been reinstated by Obama, with word getting out in Central America. The proof is that illegal immigrants no longer run from the Border Patrol, but use them as their taxi service to a couple of nights in detention and an eventual release with an unenforced summons to appear before a judge, according to ICE's own statements. The Obama administration justifies the whole farce as a result of overcrowding. But overcrowding is actually the strategy — the more overcrowded, the more excuses for release. Don't look for overcrowding to end — the president benefits too much from this dinner triangle for illegals.
- Payback for political enemies. Obama benefits not just by pressuring Republicans in Congress to pass amnesty and by creating future Democratic voters, but by using immigration to stick it to political enemies on the right in a way that makes the Chris Christie's traffic antics look amateur. Until this past week, illegals have been dumped by the hundreds into Arizona, despite the inhuman heat, following that state's governor's clashes with the White House.
- Embassies encouraging illegal immigration. Until IBD reported it last week, the U.S. embassy in Guatemala had a big front-page link to President Obama's Organizing for Action campaign website, which clicked on to one of the president's speeches stating that "our immigration system is broken." That's another dinner triangle to emigrate. Meanwhile, the current U.S. ambassador to El Salvador is a former La Raza board member, which tells potential illegals that illegal immigration is encouraged. Not a single embassy website warns women and children against illegally entering the U.S. Not a single one.
- Allies in the media and NGOs. These are known Obama allies and have vast networks broadcasting encouragement to illegals to emigrate as well as providing material aid, as has been described on the many websites of "social justice" organizations, such as the Center for International Policy. In an April 9 post, it described how well-developed NGO networks escort illegals through Mexico and the U.S., some indoctrinating the illegals in anti-U.S. resentment.
Ben Shapiro has also written a good piece that outlines the fallout from not securing our southern border, highlighting eight areas of risk, from formerly eradicated diseases to terrorist threats. It was a depressing reminder of how we are moving backwards instead of forwards in this country. How sad and frightening that we are at a point in history where we must loop back and reinvent the wheel to make the obvious case of why a country must secure its borders.
Meanwhile our borders are less secure than they’ve ever been. It is estimated that 70% of border patrol agents are now caring for unaccompanied minors instead of manning their posts. According to an interview conducted by Breitbart News with border patrol agent Hector Garza, “The few agents who are actually getting assigned to the border are getting called off and sent to take these unaccompanied minors to the hospital or to doctors’ offices every time one doesn’t feel well…This is leaving large areas of the border with no one watching…. Cartels are exploiting this crisis and Border Patrol agents need to be securing the border, not being babysitters."
And as this nightmare unfolds, Obama, in his arrogant rub-your-nose-in-it style, jetted off to Texas for a series of fundraisers, making it perfectly clear he will not visit the border or meet with Governor Perry to discuss the situation. Until he changed his mind. Ultimately, our imperial president deigned to meet Perry via an invite from Valerie Jarrett. The meeting was not, however, held at the border. The predictable mini-mess within a larger mess characteristic of this administration.
Obama’s vision of America and his mental pathology are merging to become a super storm of vicious disregard for the law and for American citizens. Even some in the media and in the Democrat party (one and the same thing) seem to be wondering what’s up with the president. Texas Congressman Henry Cuellar (D) recently described Obama’s unwillingness to come to the border “bizarre,” while he and others in the media have noted the bad optics of the too-busy-to-come-to-the-border president drinking beer and playing pool with the governor of Colorado. I suppose the fundamental transformation of America requires, among many other things, a large dose of outlandish arrogance.
And if all that weren’t enough, Congressman Louie Gohmert has reminded us that another result of the progressive embrace of illegals swarming our country is that it will go a long way toward turning Texas (and all of America) blue.
So what do we do?
As to illegals flooding our border, many say, “send them back.”
Sounds good. How exactly does that work, for example, with an unaccompanied 6-year-old? Do you ask him for his address? Then what? Put him on a plane destined for the nearest city to the address he gave?
The fate of thousands upon thousands of abandoned children is in our hands. They were abandoned in their country of origin, but now they are here. What is our moral and legal obligation to these children who are being used as political pawns?
As for the adults, families, and who knows how many dangerous characters that have leaked across our southern border, it is sheer madness to put them on buses and planes and sprinkle them throughout the United States. And anybody who defends this by saying they have been given dates to show up in court to review their case is simply insane.
The self-inflicted chaos at the border is the latest in a string of intentionally and/or negligently destructive acts perpetrated against America by the president. I wonder why a small group of patriots in Murrieta have poured into the streets to say, “Enough,” while the rest of us stay home.