The Worst News from Benghazi
It is now apparent that the president of the United States countermanded standing Pentagon orders to help American personnel under attack. Ambassador Stevens and three others were left to die without AC-130 Spectres and rescue teams that are always on standby in the Africom theater. Only the White House could have countermanded those standing orders, and we know that POTUS had an emergency meeting with Panetta and Hillary within 55 minutes of the start of the attack. AFRICOM's General Carter F. Ham was fired -- presumably for wanting to rescue the Americans under fire.
Ambassador Stevens and his people were left to die to protect a deep-cover NSC-CIA operation. But what could be so important that 32 Americans had to be abandoned to the mercy of al-Qaeda? Benghazi was a major gun-running operation, funneling armaments from the crushed Libyan regime of Moammar Gaddafi to rebel forces opposing Syria's Assad. Ambassador Stevens was negotiating with a whole Star Wars barroom thug collection of bad actors, a reported ten different jihadist militias operating in Benghazi.
The most damning Benghazi revelation is the Obama policy that led to the disaster: Obama's four-year policy of secretly supporting violent Islamists against civilized Muslims, like Egypt's President Hosni Mubarak, and modern-minded people in countries like Turkey and Iran. We used to support moderate Muslims until Obama took over; now we support our deadly enemies. In Benghazi, some of those gangster types turned against us, tore the cover off the operation, burned out Ambassador Stevens, and killed American defenders with mortar fire. Our defenders had the AQIM mortar crew laser-marked for jet bombers and gunships that never showed up.
We now have four solid years of Obama administration support for radical jihadi movements against the modern world. The United States has abandoned any moral basis for its foreign policy. Prior to Obama, we stood for civilization and against tyranny of all kinds, in the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, World Wars I and II, and the Cold War. Today, for the first time in history, an American president is knowingly aiding and abetting ideological barbarism. Thomas Jefferson fought the Barbary Pirates; Obama is aiding the Barbary Pirates to fight us.
That is the deeper lesson of Benghazi.
Here is a list of Obama's betrayals -- so far.
1. The administration betrayed the democratic forces in theocratic Iran, the biggest danger to peace in the world. Four years ago Obama did nothing to support the pro-democratic Green Movement that was trying to overthrow the reactionary mullahs. Obama shielded a war theocracy that feeds on its hatred of the modern world. He allowed genuine freedom demonstrators to be abused and exterminated right in front of the international media.
2. The administration flagrantly betrayed the civilizing forces in Egypt, the greatest pillar of stability in the Arab Middle East for thirty years. It was Obama who called for the overthrow of Hosni Mubarak, the man who upheld the Egypt-Israel peace treaty for thirty years. When Obama told Mubarak to step down, the victory of Muslim Brotherhood was assured. Today they are implementing a sharia constitution for Egypt. The war theology of Islam doesn't bring democracy. The "Arab Spring" is a lie, and it always was a lie. Today Israel is reporting that Brother Morsi will not even talk to the Jewish state, reversing three decades of peaceful relations.
The most symbolic event on Tahrir Square in Cairo was not a phony democracy demonstration, but the violent group rape of ABC News's Lara Logan. Raping women and underaged girls is a protected act under the desert law of Mohammed; violent rape is approved for slaves taken in war, and war is a constant condition. (Many of Mohammed's wives fit in this category.) Under sharia, girls and women are routinely blamed if they are violently assaulted while walking alone without a male family escort. That is why sharia imprisons women in their houses and forces them to wear black tents in public, always living in fear of legalized physical assault by men.
4. We are now back-stabbing the modernizing forces in Afghanistan in favor of the Taliban, who gave safe haven to Osama bin Laden for planning, training, arming, and executing the attack on New York and Washington on 9/11/01.
5. We even betrayed Libya. The Bush administration got Moammar Gaddafi to stop his nuclear program, but Obama back-stabbed Gaddafi anyway. Today radical Islamists control Libya.
6. Obama tried to betray Israel, but the Israelis resisted. If Obama is re-elected, Israel had better protect itself from this administration's treachery. The biggest irony of the fraudulent Arab Spring is that all the Arab regimes have been shaken to the core, but Israel is rock-solid. So far.
Benghazi was the place to transfer control of Libyan arms to jihadi militias operating in Syria, including al-Qaeda. Some of those jihadis betrayed us by attacking Stevens and his team when they knew they were unprotected. That morning, a Libyan cop was caught taking photos inside the U.S. compound. A police car guarding the compound ran off minutes before the assault. Phone calls to the local police brought no help. The same Libyan regime that we helped bring to power shafted us.
That is the nature of the beast: Obama thought he could outsmart the jihadi crocodile, and Ambassador Stevens ended up dead. Trying to buy the loyalty of Muslim fanatics will always end in disaster, because they are theological barbarians: they are willing to die as martyrs, but they are much happier to terrorize, abuse, torture, and kill civilized people first. Islam is a desert creed that started by conquering the high civilizations of Persia and Byzantium. The Koran is the only scripture that celebrates war and genocide. Islam always conquered when it found more people willing to die for its ideology than civilized nations found for theirs.
Benghazi was not an accident. It was a blunder waiting to happen, starting from a doomed attempt to buy the loyalty of al-Qaeda and its kind with arms to overthrow Assad.
Half of America is still media-blinded, but there isn't a single foreign ministry or intelligence agency in the world that is unaware of Obama's policy of betrayal. We have squandered trust in America's promises, the keystone of the Western defense arch in the six decades since World War II.
We have known that Obama is a third-world Socialist, because he boasted about it in his autobiographies. But until now we had no proof that his real sympathies are with jihad imperialism. Benghazi is a major failure, but the policy it represents is worse than the idea of putting an unprotected U.S. ambassador into bandit country to make a deal with jihadist terror groups, and then failing to protect him when the bad guys turn on him.
Americans had better learn the truth before those same suicidal policies come home to haunt us.