August 8, 2009
The Twelve Steps of Obama AnonymousBy Peggy Shapiro
It's the morning after an intoxicated stupor for many Obama supporters. Jewish Democrats, who were among his most fervent admirers, are waking up with headaches about the President's policy and conduct in the Middle East; even media devotees such as Martin Peretz, The New Republic, cannot find excuses for the President's honoring of a blatant anti-Semite and Israel-basher with the nation's highest civilian award.
Senior citizens who voted for him are now feeling rather sick about what will happen to their healthcare under the administration's plan. Those of us who didn't drink the Kool Aid are beginning to hear regrets from friends and family who did, and we can help them recover from their Obamamania with a twelve-step program.
The twelve steps for Obamamania recovery
1. We admitted we were powerless over his appealing aura and that our lives and our nation had become unmanageable.
2. We came to believe that powers such as democracy, liberty, loyalty to nation, and independence were greater than personal charm and empty promises and could restore us to sanity.
3. We made a decision to turn away our will and lives from the false messiah as we understood him.
4. We made a searching and fearless moral inventory of the shallow reasons for voting for him.
5. We admitted to ourselves and to friends and family members (who had serious concerns about an inexperienced person with shameful associates being qualified for the most important position in the nation) the exact nature of our wrongs.
6. We were entirely ready to read the Constitution and learn more about the Founding Fathers and the principles of this nation in order to remove these defects from our character.
7. We cleared our thinking so that we neither discounted associations with rabid anti-Semites nor found convoluted rationalizations for such associations convincing.
8. We made a list of all persons we had harmed (people who use banks, people who drive cars, people who might get sick and die in a nation with a single medical provider, Israelis who are left to fend for themselves against the murderous intentions of the Iranian regime, the Iranian protestors whose cries we ignored, Muslim women, whose abusers we protected in the name of cultural diversity, bloggers who were reported to the authorities for contradicting the official White House position. Radio talk-show hosts whose criticisms were silenced by the "Fairness Law." The list is too long to complete. ) and became willing to make amends to them all.
9. We made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others. We spoke up at town hall meetings to protect our rights as Americans. We lobbied our senators and representatives for legislation that would re-strengthen the almost severed ties between Israel and the U.S. We were relentless in our demands that this nation not blame Israel for the lack of peace in the Middle East, but put the full force of our power on Tehran which threatened the existence of the Jewish State of Israel. We insisted that our elected officials and media not appease our enemies by refusing to even name them and undermine the security of our country and the world by expressing more concern for terrorists than for their victims.
10. We continued to take personal inventory, read the Weekly Standard and the American Thinker and watch Fox News to keep ourselves from succumbing to the pandering, paid for propagandists that make up much of the major media. We volunteered to help and financially supported candidates who had a strong record of upholding the best interests of the U.S. and its allies. We applied facts and reasoning to the comedic outbursts of Bill Maher, Al Frankin and Nancy Pelosi and when they were wrong, we promptly admitted it.
11. We sought through prayer and meditation to improve our spiritual contact with God, as we understood Him/Her, praying only for wisdom to stop dismissing those with strong religious affiliations as "kooks" and start showing respect for the Judeo-Christian underpinnings of our nation's success.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these Steps, we tried to carry this message to Obamamaniacs, and to practice these principles in all our affairs so that the United States of America could survive until the next election.
A friend suggested a perfect meeting place for these OA (Obama Anonymous) groups--reform synagogues, liberal churches (eg, Unitarian), community centers in liberal 'hoods, eg Upper West Side, Chicago's North Shore, just about anywhere in Massachusetts and the San Francisco Bay area.